Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Day Eight: Exploring Saigon, Flying Home, Reflection

After being in Vietnam for a week, it opened up my mind to a completely different view of life that you don't get living in the small town of Los Altos. Seeing how happy people were living in such poverty was very humbling, and it makes one appreciate what they have. This trip has taught me that while I may have been raised in a family where I have two loving parents, a free education, food, clothes, and a roof over my head, I can't let that be taken for granted, and because I was handed all of this, it is one of my duties to help and support those who need it. I am sad to leave Vietnam and the great people that I have met here, and I can't wait to join IEP again. If anyone would like to support the club I created at Los Altos High School to support IEP, called A Step in the Right Direction, please visit http://www.gofundme.com/1ts8s4 and donate.

After an 8 am breakfast with the Mullens, we decided to explore the main indoor market in Saigon, which was a few blocks from our hotel. The market was huge, hot, and very fun. We got a few gifts for  family while we were there, and explored some of the food market as well. After about an hour in the market, we headed back to the hotel to get a ride to the airport.


We got our ride to the airport, which took around 30 minutes, and loaded ourselves onto a few carts and checked in. The 3 hour flight to Tapei, Taiwan, left at 1 pm. After a two hour layover, our 10 hour flight from Taiwan to SFO left.
Ziggy on the bus over to the airport in Saigon.

Checking in at the airport! 



View of Saigon from the plane as we were taking off. That's smog, not fog.

No comments:

Post a Comment